Since 2011, I have asked individuals to give me their biggest basketball question through my various websites. After 4 years, shockingly, I have generated a database of over 1,300 questions. I’ve decided to start answering the questions publicly.
Welcome to Ask Po Po!
No one likes losing. That includes me. Unfortunately, there will come a time when you will lose. But you know what—It’s not how you fall. It’s how you GET — BACK — UP.
UConn came into this basketball season as reigning National Champions, the number 1 ranking and a long winning streak. No one expected the Husky’s to come out of the game against Stanford with a loss. But they did.
Will UConn now not three-peat as national champions? We will have to wait until April to find out. However, from the video below, we do know how UConn is responding to the early season loss.
They are working on the little things. They are working on getting better. They are working on finding a leader.
Great Quotes from the Video:
..When you watch film, it’s worst than you can possibly think..and again it’s holding the mirror up and saying I got to get better… –Chris Dailey, Associate Head Coach
One of the easiest motivators is losing. –Maya Moore, Former UConn Standout
You know what leaders do. They make plays. –Coach Geno Auriemma
When you work really hard to get better. You know when you get better and you leave the gym with some confidence. –Coach Geno Auriemma
If you can’t see the video, click here
A lot of things have to come together in order for college basketball teams to be successful. The coaching staff and players work hard at season preparation, team building, game preparation and strategy, skill development, goal setting, program promotion, leadership development, problem solving, community service, individual and team motivation. If you think about it, majority of the things I mentioned are what’s necessary for small businesses and corporations to be successful also.
Below is an interesting article on how athletics help women in business.
In research released by the EY Women Athletes Business Network and espnW, the majority of women executives surveyed say that a sport background can help accelerate a woman’s leadership and career potential, and has a positive influence on hiring decisions.
The research report, Making the connection: women, sport and leadership, based on a global online survey of 400 women executives, was conducted by Longitude Research across Europe, the Americas and Asia-Pacific, with the top five responding countries being Brazil, Canada, China, the UK and the United States. Half (49%) of those surveyed were in the C-suite, meaning that they serve on the board of directors at a company or in another C-level position, such as CEO, CFO or COO. The remaining 51% surveyed were in other management positions.
Ninety-four percent of the respondents have participated in sport and close to three-quarters (74%) agree that a background in sport can help accelerate a woman’s leadership and career potential. Close to two-thirds (61%) say that past sporting involvement has contributed to their current career success and that a background in sport has a positive influence on their own hiring decisions, with more than two-thirds (67%) highlighting a background in sport as a positive influence on their decision to hire a candidate.
I know what you are thinking. It’s basketball season! Why are you talking about the Off Season?
As Skylar Diggins quotes LeBron James in the video, “Experience is the Best Teacher”. The season is the best time to discover what you need to work on during the off season.
Skylar’s WNBA rookie season was a learning experience for her. During that time, she discovered areas that she needed to work on (during the off season) in order to come back a better player for her second season. The work she put in paid off because she had an awesome second season and won the WNBA’s Most Improved Player award.
In the video, Skylar discusses the skills she worked on during the off season. Her Skills-To-Work-On List included getting stronger, finishing at the rim with both hands, and 3 point shooting.
If you can’t see the video, click here.
As you go through this season, keep up with your statistics, document what your coach is always nagging you about, and document difficulties that you have during games. Once the season has come to an end, review your season stats and notes to help you prepare your off season skill development plan.